Always stretch the canvas as evenly as possible. How hard you stretch it is a question of personal preference. Some painters prefer a very taut canvas while others do not. The following is one of the methods you can use:
- centre the canvas carefully on the frame
- affix it temporarily, for example by the corners
- start in the middle of one side and work toward the edges
- use a nail or a staple every 4 - 8 cm
- now work on the opposite side and stretch the canvas using a canvas plier.
- use the same method for the third and fourth sides
- while stretching; check the front or finished canvas continually to ensure the stretch is correct otherwise make adjustments as needed.
- do the corners last